Thursday, November 20, 2008

Everyday Design – CD Cases




I chose to talk about something that is very simple but I have thought about the product development of CD cases for a long time. I have them for many years and I can see that they have gotten thinner. The cases are used in different instances. At first it was used mostly for music CDs. Later we started using them for storage of “burned” CDs.


One design flaw that many of us never liked too much as the packaging of CDs, and used by most Music Industry Companies, was the seal that keeps music CDs secure. I believe that such a seal is still widely used to secure CDs. I don’t buy music in physical stores anymore, but the last time I bought one, they were still using a similar type of seal.


Even if the design of a CD case still has its problems, as mentioned before, there has been a few improvements that made the difference for me. I am talking about how thinner the CD cases got. Sometimes I still carry these cases on some of trips, with music/data CDs or DVDs and thinner cases are a great thing to minimize the size of bags that I have to carry.

No comments: